Mark Anthony P. Tamayo
Mark Anthony P. Tamayo
Mark is a CPA-Lawyer and a well-known Tax/Global Trade & Customs professional. He was a Tax Partner at SGV & Co., a member firm of Ernst & Young Global Limited, where he served as the Indirect Tax Country Leader as well as the head of the Global Trade & Customs practice. Mark has over 27 years of experience in providing expert counsel to various local and multinational companies engaged in diverse business activities from various industry sectors. His expertise includes, among others, customs and international trade advisory, planning, and controversy; tax advisory and controversy; cross border tax planning; corporate organization, reorganization, and restructuring; and investment incentives.
He has written several articles and provided lectures on tax, international trade and customs. He extensively participated in the drafting of Republic Act (RA) No. 9135 which amended certain provisions of the 1978 Tariff and Customs Code of the Philippines (TCCP), as well as the final draft of its implementing rules. He was also involved in the drafting of RA 10863, otherwise known as the Customs Modernization Tariff Act (CTMA) as well as in the various regulations implementing the provisions of the CMTA.
Mark is a recipient of various international awards and recognition, including, among others, – “2016 Asia Tax Practice Leader of the Year” by the International Tax Review; and one of the foremost “Recognized Indirect Tax Leaders in the Philippines” for several consecutive years. During his watch as the head of SGV’s indirect tax practice, his group was awarded – “The Indirect Tax Firm of the Year 2009 and 2011”; and “The Best Indirect Tax Advisory Team” in the Philippines for 2014 by the Offshore Excellence Awards.
Mark graduated from the Ateneo Law School with a Bachelor of Laws degree, and obtained his Bachelor of Science in Commerce (BSC) major in Accounting at San Beda College. He completed the Management Development Program (MDP) at the Asian Institute of Management, and the Program of Instruction for Lawyers at the Harvard Law School.
- Tax (international , domestic and local) advisory, planning and controversies
- Cross-border tax planning
- Customs & international trade advisory, planning, compliance & controversies
- Corporate Organization, Reorganization and Restructuring
- Foreign investments and incentives
- Mergers and acquisitions
Education and Bar Admission
- Bachelor of Laws, Ateneo de Manila University School of Law (1989)
- Bachelor of Science in Commerce Major in Accounting (1984) San Beda College
- Management Development Program (2001) Asian Institute of Management
- Program of Instruction for Lawyers (2000) Harvard Law School
- Admitted to the Philippine Bar in April 6, 1990
- Passed the 1984 CPA licensure examination
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Member, Integrated Bar of the Philippines (Quezon City Chapter)
- Member, Philippine Institute of Certified Public Accountants
- Member, Rotary Club Makati Dasmarinas
- Partner, SGV & Co., member firm of Ernst & Young Global Limited